There are many tips on how to fix a leaky faucet all over the internet today, however, most of them tend to be clumsy and only serve to confuse readers more, which can be quite annoying if truth be told.
With all these in mind, the following simple instructions will help you to fix a compression-type faucet within no time:
- Gather all the necessary tools like a screwdriver, penetrating oil, adjustable wrench or slip-joint pliers and replacement washers.
- Before you touch anything, find out why the faucet is dripping or leaking. In most cases, it could be that the washer is worn out, a poor or loose installation or simply the wrong size.
- After identifying the cause, turn off the water supply from underneath the sink or from the main value or meter. This will shut off the entire water supply and you should probably enlighten the people in your house to avoid any inconvenienced.
- Unscrew the handle and if necessary, use the penetrating oil to loosen the screws which might be hidden beneath a metal or plastic button.
- Remove the handle and study the faucet assembly keenly. Use your pliers or wrench to remove the packing nut.
- Loosen the screws that hold the washer using the penetrating oil if they prove a bit difficult.
- Substitute the washer with a suitable one. If the old one is beveled, replaced it with a beveled one and if it is a flat one, choose a flat one. This should fix the leak to some extent. Be sure to replace the washer with a relevant because some washers are specifically designed cold or hot water.
- After you are sure that the new washer is indeed the proper one, fasten it to the stem and reassemble the faucet.
- Turn the stem clockwise and put the packing nut back to position taking care not to scar metal with your wrench.
- The last procedure should be to reinstall the handle and to replace disc and buttons if any. Turn the faucet on to look out for leaks. This should complete your project as long as there are no leaks.
Remember that if your faucets are poor in quality, you will forever be in the business of fixing leaks. The best thing here would be to invest in superior faucets that will not only save you years of unnecessary labor, but will also save you a lot of money in the long run.
The best quality in the market today is solid brass which is ideal for hard water regions. Some manufacturers will sell the faucets body and the handle separately which will allow you to mix and match different styles and finishes.
If you are unsure of any brand, online customer’s reviews will give you an idea on its efficiency. To get the best, you must be willing to pay for the best then you will no longer be searching for tips and instructions on how to fix a leaky faucet.